• Page:

TOPIC: New year, time for some changes

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6724

• leroy04
  • More Details
    • a
    • Thank you received:249
Hello everybody,

The last day of the year comes with some news related to this server. As you all know, the server is back online after 15 days offline +/-. The reason of it being offline is that apparently a big DDoS attack was made to the server host through our IP and it was blocked on the datacenter, and apparently not unlocked until few days ago.

Besides that, our provider thinks that we're target of some evil person who uses the server to shut down all his service, and his support and service towards GoC has been worse and worse in the past months, taking from 3-4 days to 1 week to answer support tickets.

We decided to change provider, and already bought a new server. Server has this characteristics:

- 50 slots public server
- Location: Germany. It's probably a hetzner rack and located in Nurember, though i'm not 100% sure.
- Provider: dediserverhosting

Server will change IP and port, which will be announced as soon as everything is ready (backup uploaded and all), I probably finish the installation tomorrow ;)

Pings will be probably higher a bit, but server quality should be better as it has less slots (better memory management) and hetzner has a really high uptime ratio and dos protection (apparently).

So, in the next few days, when you connect to actual GoC server it will ask you to be redirected to new IP, which will be also announced here.

Also, this will be my last action for GoC 'community'. And this time I mean it for real, as I got really interesting projects for this 2018 that will take most of my free time ;) ;). I already told some people who needed to know, but for those who don't, I let you know that after this move I won't be behind GoC anymore. Anything happening related to server will need to be asked to swissy/blord/darkwing and they will be the ones to deal/solve these issues.

Also, 'stats' website won't work anymore and the website will be some day changed, with new design and different stuff

I won't be playing either, probably from time to time a few maps, be sure to wave at me if you see me around ;) It's always nice to see most of the people which you've been sharing some time of your life for the past 8-9 years ;P

Any question, suggestion, opinion, feedback is appreciated, leave it down here :P
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darkwing, Thi3F, rad0g0st, [*]Machumat-*, Sprs

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6726

• kurvaanyad
  • More Details
    • Thank you received:36
I think as a fresh start some thing could be tested now at least a bit. And during the years less and less human players playing the game so all time bots are presents this must somehow respond.

MAXBOTS 12vs12
Posts the reason are here on the forum.

PANZA THING
Destructible rocket
g_missileHealth
Description : Sets the amount of health a panzer/bazooka missile has. If 0 the missiles indestructible.
Set to not 0 so panza rocket will be destructibele (suggested the default number: 5)

slower rocket
g_missileSpeed
Description: Sets the speed a panzer/bazooka missile travels at. Set to 0 or 2500 to enable default speed. Values over 300 are ignored if Guided Rockets are enabled.
Default: 0
Lower the actual values to 20-25% Humanized panza shot, Close shot still can deadly but far shot can be survived, less chance to wipe out a - bot - team with one shot

team_maxPanzers
Description: Cap the maximum amount of respective weapons per team. A value -1 means no limit, a value of 0 disables the weapon completely. Affected weapons: Bazooka and Panzerfaust
Its recommend to set 1 while bot team can completly wipe out with 2 human panza

MORTAR
team_maxMortars
Description: Cap the maximum amount of respective weapons per team. A value -1 means no limit, a value of 0 disables the weapon completely.
Its recommend to set 0 or 1 while bots with this weapon are completly useless and humanas too, it only causing to upsets the team balance if 1 or 2 (!) human player just sitting with it.

GAMEPLAY
g_playDead
Description: Allows players to use the /playdead command.
While mostly this used to prevent spectator put for inactivity its recommend to set 0

g_noAttackInvul
Description: Removes a player's spawn shield if they start to attack before it wears off after spawn or if player was revieved.
Its recommend to set 1 so if a player start fighting he is also killable no matter if he fresh spawnned or not.

Btw thanks for leroy all his valuables work over the years
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by kurvaanyad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: swissy, rad0g0st

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6727

• swissy
  • More Details
    • Thank you received:96
I agree with suggestions

a NOOB is happy, if he find his name in the "hall of fame" at the end of a map.
a PRO is happy, if he fight a map with other teammates with a great teamwork.

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6728

• leroy04
  • More Details
    • a
kurvaanyad wrote:
PANZA THING
Destructible rocket
g_missileHealth
Description : Sets the amount of health a panzer/bazooka missile has. If 0 the missiles indestructible.
Set to not 0 so panza rocket will be destructibele (suggested the default number: 5)

slower rocket
g_missileSpeed
Description: Sets the speed a panzer/bazooka missile travels at. Set to 0 or 2500 to enable default speed. Values over 300 are ignored if Guided Rockets are enabled.
Default: 0
Lower the actual values to 20-25% Humanized panza shot, Close shot still can deadly but far shot can be survived, less chance to wipe out a - bot - team with one shot

noattackinvul was set to 1, dunno why it wasn't working.

Missile speed is actually at 1600, will try it to 1100

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6729

• kurvaanyad
  • More Details
leroy04 wrote:
noattackinvul was set to 1, dunno why it wasn't working.

Maybe than try with "0" maybe the zero do this spawnshiled removing thing.

And according the shoutbox text
3000-4000 files each folder
This maybe mean 3000-4000 players XP data are stored? If yes forever xp save suck especially if you want migrate the server. :) But i can count - sadly - in my hands how many active player are nowadays...

Possibble option clean a bit this files to add a time limit for the storage value
g_XPSaveMaxAge
Description: The number of seconds that must pass without a connection from a player before XPSave discards the XP.
Parameters
Type: integer
Default: 86400 (1 day)

If g_XPSaveMaxAge 15552000 it will mean if somebody not playing not a once within 6 months their data will be deleted.
So there will be max 100-200 active file probably

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6731

• leroy04
  • More Details
    • a
The XP max age is set to 1 year, the problem is more likely people who have 3-4 different guid over the year ;P

All the other stuff is already set, only missing the bot names and maps :)

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6732

• swissy
  • More Details
leroy04 wrote:
All the other stuff is already set, only missing the bot names and maps :)

on the way... :P

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6733

• wubbe
  • More Details
    • Thank you received:9
thanks for all the hard work leroy. I don't know you long enough yet but i guess you were the go to man in this community.

All the best in your future endeavors.

I also got a suggestion tho and a few people said to post it on forum to discuss because it could be important. haha

Anyway , all the people that always complain about micro lags.. that is actually just their internet connection thats's "falling behind" to the servers connection.

I also noticed that Goc server doesn't use the default var for rate in the server :namely, 25000 , we use 40000. Is there a reason why that nr ?

The game may seem smooth with higher rate but the game itself has a more stable gameplay effect with 25k ( my opinion, don't shoot me ) 25k rate dates from the predeccesors of this game ( Rtcw, Quake,... )

Also with that rate most isp's and pc's can keep up with the game so a more stable gaming experience for all can be provided.

I also don't understand why we dont force maxpackets to 100 for everyone ? Since low maxpackets can generate "lags". ( make the event of the bullet tracer go slower, because of loss of packets )

An even maxpackets number for all could provide a smoother experience for everyone and those "lags" will be gone..

but most importantly ( everyone has a fair chance to kill the opponent because everyone has same vars )

So the vars i propose are:

maxpackets 100 (forced or let player choose from 60-100 )
snaps 20 ( forced or let player choose untill 40, above 40 is unplayable anyway )
rate 25000 (forced or let player choose untill 40k )

Warning: if you guys go for forced maxpackets, the players that play with 43 and 60 ( lol WTH :blink: ) will have problems at the start because they need to adapt their aim to the new var. This will probably take a week or two depending of activity.

Just my two cents from past experiences, and to make this server even greater,

This community is very good for the rest no complaints, fair ppl, fun ppl and a good teamspeak section :P :lol: B)

have a great year everyone !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Buuust

New year, time for some changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #6734

• kurvaanyad
  • More Details
wubbe wrote:
So the vars i propose are:

maxpackets 100 (forced or let player choose from 60-100 )
snaps 20 ( forced or let player choose untill 40, above 40 is unplayable anyway )
rate 25000 (forced or let player choose untill 40k )

I think the forced value can be only one value.

rate 25000 - i think it's good, becausei read somewhere the game engine have this cap so i think too 40000 does not too much

maxpackets 100 - according the qouted description this also can be good
cl_maxpackets sets how many packets are sent to client (yourself).
Usage: seta cl_maxpackets 100
Values: 15 to 100
Default: 30
Note: If your cl_maxpackets are higher, more data is sent to you as the client and when these packets are smaller they arrive more frequently to you. If you see more data about your environment, you can decide more precise how or where to move.

Players on a low rate setting (usually players using a modem) should have their cl_maxpackets setting lower.
But, because the packets go both ways (to client and to the server), players on low maxpackets might have problems, because other players will find this player’s movements weird which can make them hard to shoot and also this player can see other players movement weird.

snaps 20 - in the server ingame-tweaks menu this value is green colored so this value is suggested long ago by goc but according the description imo this have to stay player-based setting
snaps

snaps determines how many times the server sends you updates (snapshots) per second about the game state. If the default value for snaps is not appropriate for you, you can increase/decrease anytime the amount of the updates sent to the Client (for yourself). If your updates are poor just lower your snaps value (view lagometer to check your updates). A good value to begin with is 30.

Values examples: 20 to 40
Default: 40

Usage:
/seta snaps 40

Note:
The server can only generate a snap each server frame.

New year, time for some changes 4 months 2 weeks ago #6738

• kurvaanyad
  • More Details
Just a reminder:
On some place the new server IP have to add.

Ingame possible with "server_motd5" and with tha announcer which say ingama that "spawnkilling is allowed"

And ofc graphic stuff need update too like this

image upload

New year, time for some changes 4 months 2 weeks ago #6739

• leroy04
  • More Details
    • a
Some of these settings can be forced to be in some values, indeed.

Also, some details are missing like the ip on the loading screen or the ip on the buttons, hopefully will be fixed&uploaded soon if aimbrosia who has been doing that stuff for the last years is willing to change it ;)

New IP: 144.76.122.34:28990

New year, time for some changes 4 months 2 weeks ago #6745

• pihi
  • More Details
    • DeS!gn.
    • Thank you received:12
xp with 1 year max? oh come on, I want to reach the 2-5-10 million :)
and panzer is impossible to use with this slowness.

btw: THANKS LEROY FOR EVERYTHING!

New year, time for some changes 4 months 2 weeks ago #6746

• kurvaanyad
  • More Details
pihi wrote:
and panzer is impossible to use with this slowness.
Close shot still can deadly but far shot can be survived if you move smart and less chance to wipe out a - bot - team with one shot

New year, time for some changes 4 months 2 weeks ago #6747

• swissy
  • More Details
pihi wrote:
xp with 1 year max? oh come on, I want to reach the 2-5-10 million :)

Just connect 1 time a year, make some XP and problem is solved... :P

New year, time for some changes 2 months 3 weeks ago #6847

• aimbrosia
  • More Details
    • Duts.
    • Thank you received:159
kurvaanyad wrote:
And ofc graphic stuff need update too
leroy04 wrote:
Also, some details are missing like the ip on the loading screen or the ip on the buttons, hopefully will be fixed&uploaded soon if aimbrosia who has been doing that stuff for the last years is willing to change it ;)
New IP: 144.76.122.34:28990

I have no problem to update these, someone has to do it. But when i suggest to create, update, pre-pay a new website with different and usefull stuff in some way and transfer full ownership to a GoC-owner and being responsible for the stuff arround the server. That's being ignored. So my question is: Why on earth don't i get the ability as a clan-member to update outdated stuff and create new stuff where no one else has the time or motivation for, without asking for permission or posting suggestions all the time? Unless you think i spend time to create loading screen and specials, pay TS, etc to do harm. :dry: I can't be much online during the evenings, so i search ways to support GoC in other ways besides updating some details or the 2 specials in Q4 of the year.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by aimbrosia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thi3F, [*]Machumat-*
  • Page:
Moderators: swissy
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds